Monday, April 30, 2012

A. C.A.S.T.L.E.

My precious sisters

Tonight was our last small group meeting of the semester, before everyone graduates or leaves for the summer.  It was also my last meeting as a small group leader. I will still be working with our high school ministry, 707, and leading a small group there, but this will be the last I lead a small group of adults for Vineyard, at least for the forseeable future. My time and attention needs to be spent with my high school students.  So, needless to say, tonight was really bittersweet for me. But much more sweet than bitter. I am so grateful, and so blessed, that God thought enough of me to allow me to be part of His plan.

The girls I have been blessed to teach and lead this semester have been wonderful, really teaching me more than I taught them.  The things they shared were insightful, genuine, and impactful, not only to the group as a whole, but to me. I learned so much about what it meant to bring a vulnerable, teachable spirit to the Lord and to our community. I learned what it meant to really look someone in the eye, and listen to what she is saying.  I learned what it meant to truly intercede for someone in prayer, and to watch God work in their lives.

We're clearly cooler than you

Tonight as we wrapped up our discussion, we moved into a time of encouragement.  Our typical night ends with words of affirmation, wisdom, and encouragement for each other, but tonight we wanted to end with words of affirmation to our Lord. We held hands and prayed "breath prayers". We went around the circle several times, but praying only one sentence at a time, or a prayer on one breath. It was one of the most incredible moments I've experienced in prayer. I wish I could remember everything that was said, or that I had the courage to write it all down, because it was genuinely life-changing.

"Thank You, God, for loving me for who I am but not wanting me to stay there." 
"Thank You, God, for letting me be Your little girl." 
"Thank You, Jesus, for letting me share this semester with girls 
who lift me up, teach me, and support me." 
"Thank You, Father, for pulling me out of my darkness, and into Your wonderful light." 
"Thank You for coming to rescue me, even when I run away."
"Help us seek You and only You."
"We love You with everything in us- help us show the world who You are."  

And on and on it went.  More powerful and more emotional and more honest the further along we got. It was really, really special.

And now I have all these wonderful memories and images to carry with me as I part from these ladies, maybe for a summer, maybe for a year, maybe for a lifetime. But I am comforted knowing that we are connected by a Holy Spirit which is more powerful than being physically next to each other. And one day, no matter what, we'll all meet again, standing right in front of Jesus, and there will be a party unlike anything we can imagine!

Princesses in A. C.A.S.T.L.E., 
living with purpose and intention today,
as we hope for the future 
Andi
Caroline
Amber
Sydney
Tierah
Lydia
Emily

  I thank my God every time I remember you. 
In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 
because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now,  
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you 
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 
Phil. 1:3-6

No comments:

Post a Comment