Saturday, April 14, 2012

Missions?

As I continue to grow closer to my sweet Savior, as I continue to grow in maturity and confidence, as I continue to grow closer to letting go of all the baggage that has been weighing me down for years and years....I can't help but feel as though my time in Richmond is almost over.

I'm 27 years old, and incredibly single. I have so much free time and energy to give to the Lord and the ministry He is calling me to. I can't stop feeling like a college student, because this is the town I moved to for college and 9 years later I'm still here. Albeit, doing work that God has for me...which also includes spending 90% of my free time with high school and college students.

Maybe that's unfair...but maybe there is a bit of truth in the scripture where Jesus says "no prophet is accepted in his own town." (Luke 4:24). Perhaps that's also taken a bit out of context, as Jesus was speaking of the place where He grew up- a place people couldn't stop thinking of Him as a little boy, under His parents' authority.  But what if there's a flip side to that? What if it's not only in what other people think- what if there is power in what you think of yourself? I still feel like a college kid, because I still live in a college town. In MY college's town. And I work as a waitress in a restaurant. That's not even a Big Girl Job.

I've known for years and years that God is calling me to full-time ministry. Praise Him, I've accepted that calling. Praise Him, He has opened door after door after door for me to do His work.  But I still feel I'm not fulling realizing His calling, that perhaps I'm not taking responsibility for running full-out after Him. I still feel that I'm meant to live greater than this.

I want to go into youth ministry, with an emphasis on girls' ministry. That's my heart. I love high school students.  But I also want to do mission work. And how can I encourage my students to go overseas when I never had the courage or the motivation to seek that for myself? Perhaps God is calling me to overseas missions for awhile? Or, if not a calling, He is testing me to see how far I will go for Him...

I grew up under the mindset that if God did not specifically call you to a place, you didn't go. But what about all those stories in scripture where people said, "Here I am, God! Send me!" What about all those willing hearts and desirous souls that just wanted to do things for the Lord? That's me! I don't have a specific place or people group in mind or heart, but I have a desire to go and be of use to the Lord, whenever and wherever that might be. I want to go to third world countries, and love on people. Be reminded of just how much junk I really do own. Show people that they are important and necessary and special. Please, before you think anything, know that I understand I have that ability any- and everywhere I go. I do get that. But I also have a desire TO GO. I'm not this single for no reason. I have the opportunity to GO for the Lord right now that I may never have again, and I need to take advantage of the freedom He allows for me today.

Having said that, I have begun the process of applying for short-term international missions trips. I am planning to, prayerfully, knock on every door within my reach and whichever one opens, after much prayer and supplication, I will walk boldly through it.

These are the organizations I have already applied for/am in the process of applying for:
Team, INC
Christ in the City, International
World Race

I have sent inquiries and applications out for several different needs in several different areas of the world. I'm waiting patiently and eagerly for the Lord to reveal to me where I am going. I know I am going. I'm just waiting on the "where."

If you would join me in prayer for these things, I would be very grateful. I am in prayer for you, too, even if we have yet to meet....knowing that God has great things in store for YOU, as well.  I pray He lays burdens on your heart for His children, and that those burdens lead you to pursue His heart and His will passionately, for the glory and increase of His Kingdom. This is a year of blessing and power, and He's asking us to prepare. May we be ready, willing, and enthusiastic when He calls us to GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment