Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Old Testament Nuggets, Vol. 2

I've been flying through the OT lately! Reading stories I've never read, re-reading old favorites- it's been a tremendous journey!  I figured I should at least offer some new nuggets of truth the Lord has been revealing to me through His old covenant. (There will be some New Testament Nuggets, as well, so forgive the slightly inaccurate heading). Welp, here goes!

1. Deut. 15:18
Don't be upset about someone leaving, but be joyful and give thanks for the time that you did have with them.

2. Joshua 3:5
What a beautiful thought: "Joshua told the people, 'Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you.' " A preview of Easter, as well?

3. Judges 6:17-40
Gideon asked the Lord for signs that it was really Him speaking- and God answered! God gave Gideon exactly the signs he was asking for.

4. Judges 8:2-3
Gideon's humble and selfless response caught the Israelites unaware, shocked them, and melted their resentment toward him. He disarmed them with the heart of a servant.

5. Judges 8:7
But he wasn't a pushover. Humble, but strong.

6. Ruth 3:10-11
Ruth showed romantic restraint. Wow! For those of you without a Bible at your hands in this present moment, and for fear that you will miss this incredible truth, I'm going to go ahead and give you the scripture:
10 "The LORD bless you, my daughter," he replied. 
"This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: 
You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor. 
  11 And now, my daughter, don't be afraid. I will do for you all you ask. 
All my fellow townsmen know that you are a woman of noble character.
 She showed restraint in her single life, with her single heart, and the Lord blessed and provided for her.  This is not to say that the Lord will provide a husband for us all, He may provide something else instead. And that has to be okay. But we must show restraint in our lives. And when we do, as in verse 11, people will know the we are women of our words, women of pure motivation, and women of "noble character." And that's amazing, and worth it!

7. 1 Samuel 8:18
Be careful what you wish for...    

8. 1 Samuel 9:16
God didn't just volunteer to save Israel from the Philistines. They had to first acknowledge their need for Him, and then actively ask for His intercession. He answered because they asked.

**9. 1 Samuel 9:24 
I want to camp here for just a minute, because in all my scripture reading (for today specifically), this might be my favorite moment.
"Here is what has been kept for you. Eat, because it was set aside for you
 for this occasion, from the time I said, 'I have invited guests.'"
What a beautiful idea! I would love to have this on a plaque for my future dining room, as a reminder to me to make people feel more comfortable and welcome in my home and at my table, and a reminder to my guests that they are special and important. Especially when I have lots of kids (again- biological, adopted, and fostered). But even before then, as I host or foster my students for a meal or coffee or just to chat... I need to be mindful of the things I am doing, not doing, or could do to make people feel welcome and special. How lovely this thought would make someone feel- "I have prepared a place for you. This time/meal/energy is meant for you. I love it.

10. Luke 1:28-30
Mary didn't have to do anything or be anyone. She just was who she was, and God blessed her with favor and promise.  I should be more willing to be myself, rather than compare myself to or attempt to emulate others. He made me to be me, and when I start owning that, He'll open the floodgates of heaven's blessings.

11. Luke 1:74
God enables us to serve Him without fear. Wow.

12. Luke 3:11
Give. Period. This might be my excuse to sell or give away everything I own! I've been looking for a reason (and perhaps also a little more courage) to do this. Just give, and then go.

13. Luke 3:13
Don't take any kind of advantage of people, no matter who they are.

14. Luke 7:1-10
I can't even imagine what it would be like to amaze Jesus with my faith. My two favorite verses here are 9 and 13.

15. Luke 7:50
No words are even necessary here. The scripture simply says everything it needs to:
50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”   

16. Luke 8:15
"By persevering, produce a crop." We don't grow, mature, or produce fruit without being tested and without getting through the trial.

17. Luke 14:6
 What a beautiful verse. Not just for when God calls us out, but for anytime we're focused on the presence of God, period.

18. Luke 14:8-11
I must also look for ways (and then follow through) to exalt and honor people. Sometimes we're not the guest- sometimes we're the host, and we are meant to make people feel necessary. 

19. Luke 14:28
This is also for when I adopt and foster. <3

20. Luke 14:28
I should definitely start planning my projects, rather than just jumping straight into them without thinking, and praying that God will provide. Wisdom itself is a Godly attribute!

Wow. That was a lot of information. I hope you enjoyed some of the little bites of truth and wisdom the Lord has been revealing to me, and I pray He is continuously revealing to you your own little bites of truth.

1 comment:

  1. Me gusta. Especially number 10, as I have been thinking about that a LOT recently. Great minds...

    ReplyDelete